• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Math Behind "Block Lag".
I was writing this thread before, but I "Ctrl + Z" wondering that it would undo the last change, but It deleted the whole post, so I'll make it a short story.

I asked myself if there was a way of explaining block lag in a mathematical way. I made my calculous, and got to a conclusion that there is! (Using my theory).
I will alarm you guys that I DON'T know alot about server hosting, and how something works, but using my knowledge about computers and stuff, I tried to create something that proves itself by math. I was talking about the whole theory on the chat, so I'll just "Ctrl + V" the chat log here, with some changes (I'll remove server messages, random messages, etc...) so you can all read that without interrupitions.

PS.: If you guys want to diprive my theory, feel free. I am really content with her, but someone might have some information that can take my whole theory down, so yeah...

[21:10:02] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> I just found out there's a math on block lag lol
[21:10:14] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Dolphinessss> how? o.o
[21:10:23] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Dolphinessss> whats your formula?
[21:10:39] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> Let's say a wood
[21:10:49] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Dolphinessss> ok
[21:10:54] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> Breaking log with a hand makes a 10s block lag
[21:11:05] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> and it takes 6s to break it
[21:11:29] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> So each 1s you take to break a block, makes 1.6s block lag
[21:11:40] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Dolphinessss> you just blew my minds psy
[21:11:43] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Dolphinessss> mind*
[21:11:52] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <SFotakos> That explains why placing the blocks seem less laggy
[21:11:54] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <SFotakos> nice
[21:12:50] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> As the eff 4 enchantment makes the breaking faster
[21:13:26] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> And an axe with eff 4 takes 1s to break, 6times faster than using hand, the block reduces to, something around 0,8 and a maximum of 1.6s of block lag
[21:13:49] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Dolphinessss> I'm impressed that you took the time to calculate that lol
[21:14:02] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> I did that while mining wood
[21:14:10] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> I was like "hmmm, it can't be a coincidence"
[21:14:14] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Dolphinessss> xD"
[21:14:51] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> I'm trying to understand why blocklag happens
[21:15:32] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> And I think that it's because: the time you take to break the block is OBVIOUSLY related to the time the server takes to process it's breaking
[21:16:07] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> So each 1s of breaking takes 1.6s to be sent to the server, maximum.
[21:16:21] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Dolphinessss> wow o.o
[21:16:27] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> And takes 1.6s per second to come back, and break the block
[21:17:23] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Dolphinessss> How did you get the exact decimal o.o
[21:17:31] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> Sooo, that explains why efficiency 4 makes things easier
[21:17:41] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> Idk I'm doing that by my head, I might be wrong
[21:17:45] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> let me check actually
[21:18:18] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> yeah, I'm right
[21:18:19] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Dolphinessss> that mas the most detailed explanation of block lag time I've ever heard xD
[21:18:31] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Dolphinessss> then again, thats the only explanation ive heard..
[21:18:34] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> The results my be affected for the player's internet
[21:18:42] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Dolphinessss> possibly
[21:18:52] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <SFotakos> I'd add packetloss to that equation
[21:18:58] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <SFotakos> Sometimes I have to mine twice
[21:19:03] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <SFotakos> Might just be me tho
[21:19:07] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> Nope
[21:19:11] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <customer_service> uh I have to mine like 20 times per block rn
[21:19:11] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> I have that solved too
[21:19:28] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> If you try to break the block alot of times, 2 things may happen
[21:19:51] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <customer_service> hmm I'm listening
[21:19:58] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> First: you'll keep breaking it untill it the server indentifies the first breaking and will drop that
[21:20:10] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Dolphinessss> oh.. thats why -.-
[21:20:15] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> Second: you'll keep breaking it and it'll reset the breaking time everytime you try to break that
[21:20:24] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <customer_service> ohhhh
[21:20:25] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> When that happens, a relog is necessary
[21:20:30] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <customer_service> that's good to know
[21:20:37] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> And other players might be able to break that. Why?
[21:20:39] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <customer_service> so I shouldn't try more than a few times on the same block
[21:21:02] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Yashtaman> i have same problem when i mind obsidian
[21:21:05] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> Because the stats and server stats indentifies who broke a block, as so, it indentify that the timer has reseted to you, so you're glitched on that timer.
[21:21:14] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> customer_service, try it once and wait.
[21:21:16] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Dolphinessss> You need to make a TED talk on "The mechanics of block lag" xD
[21:21:17] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] customer_service was shot by Skeleton
[21:21:17] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Yashtaman> and i figure out 2 times brake same block and it ll be mined
[21:21:28] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> That works sometimes
[21:21:31] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> Sometimes don't
[21:21:55] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> Maybe the time you take to break the second time compensates the time it takes to the first breaking go and come back
[21:22:03] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> So breaking it 2 times might be a ilusion
[21:22:13] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> Try to count the second, and see if the time matches
[21:22:27] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> I should make a forum thread about that
[21:22:32] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> Wonder if someone would read it.
[21:22:37] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <customer_service> yeah its definitely a good subject to learn about
[21:22:50] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Dolphinessss> When we make a library, you should write a book
[21:22:57] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <customer_service> agreed
[21:22:58] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Dolphinessss> that'd be a great one to read :>
[21:23:00] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] <Psytro> I will actually

What do you guys think?

Love,
Psytro
The block lag multiplies the time it takes to do anything by a factor.

Minecraft runs at a very specific "clock rate" - 20 ticks per second. Everything in the game is tied to that timing and assumes the game always runs at that speed. All the timing calculations, such as block breaking, furnace cooking, runs on that speed. Mobs do AI calculations exactly once per tick, and also assuming the game runs at 20 TPS

When the server becomes overloaded, the game can't keep up with 20 ticks per second and the clock rate drops. And since everything is made with assumption the clock rate is absolute, the game literally slows down. If it drops to 10 - the game becomes 2 times slower, 5 - 4 times slower (but of course, we haven't been THAT low yet)

When you break a block and it pops back in, it only means the game believes you haven't finished digging it yet.
shameless self-promotion:
twitter
ru: vk
homepage